PDFsharp & MigraDoc Foundation

PDFsharp - A .NET library for processing PDF & MigraDoc Foundation - Creating documents on the fly
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read this before posting on this forum: Forum Rules

Post subject: Mandarin Text
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:25 pm 

Support,

I see in the FAQ that Chinese (Mandarin) text is not supported in 1.50. I was looking into PDF Sharp to use this for my company, we need to generate Job Descriptions as PDF's, based off data in our database. Unfortunately, the Chinese job descriptions need to be accounted for, which are in Mandarin. Are there any plans for these types of languages to be supported in the future? Any suggestions or workarounds at all?

Thanks,

Steve

Post subject: Re: Mandarin Text
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:42 pm 
PDFsharp Guru

Hi!
sokeefe wrote:
Are there any plans for these types of languages to be supported in the future?
Yes, there are plans - but there is not timetable yet.

See the last paragraph here:
http://www.pdfsharp.net/wiki/Unicode-sa ... HL=chinese

Quote:
The current implementation of PDFsharp is limited to left-to-right languages. Languages like Arabic cannot yet be created even with Unicode fonts. Also the so called CJK (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) support in PDF can also not be addressed with PDFsharp. However, we plan to support as many languages as possible with PDFsharp. If you are a programmer and a native speaker of one of these languages and you like to create PDF documents in your language, you can help us to implement it in PDFsharp. You don't have to do the programming, but just help us to verify our implementation.

Are you able, ready, and willing to help? How many months can you wait for it?

Post subject: Re: Mandarin Text
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:50 pm 

Thanks for the quick reply Thomas.

I've currently been in plans to globalize our company and the software they use. I haven't quite looked at the source code for PDF Sharp to see what level of effort it would take to try and update the source code to include these languages. Unfortunately, our HR team now is pushing for this to be done as soon as we can. Without being able to generate these from my system, they will undoubtedly go back to updating and not using the system that we have built for them (for at least the job descriptions portion). I was hoping to get a solution out to them in the coming week or so, so they can display a page with all their jobs on their portal. I can generate Word docs but it is preferred to have the system generate PDF's.

As you have this on a future development list, do you have a ballpark on what type of effort it would entail?

Steve