PDFsharp & MigraDoc Foundation

PDFsharp - A .NET library for processing PDF & MigraDoc Foundation - Creating documents on the fly
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:14 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read this before posting on this forum: Forum Rules

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:59 am 

Hi,

I have upgraded from PDFSharp 1.5 to 6.0 and it has not been a smooth transition I am sorry to say.

First of all I had some troubles with getting the assets to my solution. Download-assets.ps1 did not help at all. We are using the Font "Roboto" and Download-assets.ps1 didn't help with that. I had to download the font from google and manually put it in a folder where I then had to tell my new FontResolver-class to find it.

I got it to work locally on my machine and deployed to our first test environment.

Next problem: the fonts does not deploy automatically. I have to copy the fonts manually to each of our test-, qa-, education- and production environments. And we have 8 of those environments. I guess this is solvable in our CI/CD-pipeline somehow.

Next problem: now the fonts are located on the server, then I get this error when reading the fonts and creating the fonts:

System.NullReferenceException, Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at PdfSharp.Fonts.OpenType.OpenTypeFontface.CetOrCreateFrom(XFontSource fontSource)
at PdfSharp.Drawing.XGlyphTypeface..ctor(String key, XFontFamily fontFamily, XFontSource fontSource, XStyleSimulations styleSimulations)
at PdfSharp.Drawing.XGlyphTypeface.GetOrCreateFrom(String familyName, FontResolvingOptions fontResolvingOptions)
at PdfSharp.Drawing.XFont.Initialize()
at PdfSharp.Drawing.XFont..ctor(String familyName, Double emSize, XFontStyleEx style, XPdfFontOptions pdfOptions)
at PdfSharp.Drawing.XFont..ctor(String familyName, Double emSize, XFontStyleEx style)

I don't know whats going on here. As I wrote, it works locally for me, but not when deployed to our first development-server.

It fails on the line:

XFont font = new XFont("Roboto", 80, XFontStyleEx.Bold);

the line before that is:

GlobalFontSettings.FontResolver = new RobotoFontResolver();

I am seriously thinking about downgrading to PDFSharp 1.5 again, where assets wheren't an issue.

We are using .NET 6 btw.

thanks for any help.
Rickard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:24 am 
PDFsharp Expert

Hi!
RickSan wrote:
I have upgraded from PDFSharp 1.5 to 6.0 and it has not been a smooth transition I am sorry to say.
Use the GDI build of PDFsharp 6.0 and font handling will be the same as with PDFsharp 1.5.

You only have to use Download-assets.ps1 when you want to compile PDFsharp.
Why not simply use the existing NuGet packages?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:27 am 

TH-Soft wrote:
Hi!
Use the GDI build of PDFsharp 6.0 and font handling will be the same as with PDFsharp 1.5.

You only have to use Download-assets.ps1 when you want to compile PDFsharp.
Why not simply use the existing NuGet packages?

Okay, now we're on to something! Clearly I'm doing something wrong here.
I am using the existing nuget packages, not compiling on my own. But the nuget package are not finding the assets (the font Roboto in my case) after upgrading.
I upgraded the nuget package "PDFSharp" from 1.5 til 6.0.0. Is the solution to change nuget package to "PDFSharp-GDI" version 6.0.0?
I thought that "PDFSharp-GDI" was made for use on windows clients (Windows Forms). In our case PDFSharp is run on the backend servers, not on clients.
But I guess it could work anyway.
I will try that out, see what happends.

Thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:37 am 
PDFsharp Expert

PDFsharp 1.5 uses GDI to load fonts from the Windows directory. So does PDFsharp-GDI 6.0.

PDFsharp (Core) 6.0 relies on the FontResolver you supply.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:03 pm 

TH-Soft wrote:
PDFsharp 1.5 uses GDI to load fonts from the Windows directory. So does PDFsharp-GDI 6.0.

Thanks! Then I'll change nuget package to PDFsharp-GDI.

Thank you for clearing this up for me.

/Rickard

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:48 pm 

TH-Soft wrote:

Sorry, it did not work as intended :(
Changing to PDFsharp-GDI requires me to change target framework to "net6.0-windows7.0". I can't do that.

"Error NU1202 Package PDFsharp-GDI 6.0.0 is not compatible with net6.0 (.NETCoreApp,Version=v6.0). Package PDFsharp-GDI 6.0.0 supports: net6.0-windows7.0 (.NETCoreApp,Version=v6.0)"

So it seems like I have to downgrade to PDFSharp 1.5 then?

I would like a version of PDFSharp that is compatible with .NET 6, and works like PDFSharp 1.5. It seems like that is to much to ask for.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:17 pm 

TH-Soft wrote:

Since I couldn't migrate to PDFSharp-GDI, I guess I have to choose between downgrading to 1.5 again, or trying to find out why I am getting System.NullReferenceException inside PdfSharp.Fonts.OpenType.OpenTypeFontface.CetOrCreateFrom()..

And since I have no clue to where to start on that, downgrading seems to be the easiest option. Even though I really don't want to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:17 pm 
PDFsharp Expert

RickSan wrote:
And since I have no clue to where to start on that, downgrading seems to be the easiest option.
PDFsharp 1.5 is from 2019 and targets .NET 2.0.

Reporting issues against PDFsharp 6.x:
https://docs.pdfsharp.net/General/IssueReporting.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:29 pm 

TH-Soft wrote:
RickSan wrote:
And since I have no clue to where to start on that, downgrading seems to be the easiest option.
PDFsharp 1.5 is from 2019 and targets .NET 2.0.

Reporting issues against PDFsharp 6.x:
https://docs.pdfsharp.net/General/IssueReporting.html

Yes, I know. It's not ideal.

Now I tried the preview of PDFSharp-GDI 6.1.0-preview-1, and that does target .net6.0 it seems like. Maybe I'll switch to that. Any idea when a stable version of 6.1.0 is coming?

Thanks again for all help.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:44 am 
PDFsharp Expert

RickSan wrote:
view of PDFSharp-GDI 6.1.0-preview-1, and that does target .net6.0 it seems like.
It targets net6.0-windows7.0.

RickSan wrote:
Any idea when a stable version of 6.1.0 is coming?
The next preview should come in a few days, but no ETA yet for a stable version.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:48 am 

TH-Soft wrote:
RickSan wrote:
view of PDFSharp-GDI 6.1.0-preview-1, and that does target .net6.0 it seems like.
It targets net6.0-windows7.0.

Yeah, I saw that. But it also targets .NET Framework 4.7.2 so I guess that's why it works for me.

RickSan wrote:
Any idea when a stable version of 6.1.0 is coming?
The next preview should come in a few days, but no ETA yet for a stable version.[/quote]

OK, thanks.