PDFsharp & MigraDoc Foundation

PDFsharp - A .NET library for processing PDF & MigraDoc Foundation - Creating documents on the fly
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read this before posting on this forum: Forum Rules

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:43 pm 

I did note Thomas Hoevel posted recently in these forums and he appears to be one of the developers (or maybe just a forum moderator?) so it doesn't seem to be completely abandoned but according to NuGet the lastest version (PDFsharp 1.50.4000-beta3b) is from 2015 and that's a beta. The latest release (1.32.3057) is from 2013.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:47 pm 

So the website says Premium Support is supposed to be a thing and more information will be available soon (how long has it said that... since 2015?). It then links to the Purchase page which also says support will be "available soon" with no mention of pricing. My employer may well be willing to buy a support contract. The contact info bascially says check the FAQ and forum (which I've done) and then has a German mailing address and phone number. Does Empira Software actively support this product?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:45 pm 
PDFsharp Expert

Asmodai wrote:
Does Empira Software actively support this product?
Yes. Send an e-mail in English or German to ask for Premium Support rates.
Or ask questions on this forum for free support (some questions are too complicated for free support).
And this forum is also meant for peer-to-peer support.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:10 pm 

I both emailed them about Premium Support and posted my question in these forums ("Radio Buttons don't work?" in this forum) and have not received a response to either. I also sent a private message to Thomas Hoevel asking about Premium support with no response. The project I'm working on is due Monday so I'm probably out of luck at this point but we're going to want something for PDF generation going forward and would have preferred a native .Net soltuion without a "viral" GPL license over a java port.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:10 am 
PDFsharp Expert

Asmodai wrote:
I also sent a private message to Thomas Hoevel asking about Premium support with no response.
You sent your messages on Wednesday after the office hours (Europe). Thomas was not in the office on Thursday and Friday and didn't get your message yet.

Asmodai wrote:
I both emailed them about Premium Support and posted my question in these forums ("Radio Buttons don't work?" in this forum) and have not received a response to either.
Not many AcroForm experts in this forum and answers to AcroForm question take time.

E-mail sent Wednesday after office hours and staff cannot discuss it before Monday due to Thomas' days off.
E-mail sent from an hotmail address, no mail address given, no company name given - looks more like spam than like a serious business request.

Premium support is aimed at typical projects that run for weeks with people giving us a few days to respond.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:22 pm 

Ok we have two different, and only slightly related, issues being combined here:
Issue 1: Is a specific support incident which is reflected in my other thread in this forum concerning radio buttons groups. I did not expect this to be resolved ASAP. It's a different thread than this one for a reason and I was hoping to get help from the community not necessarily official support. That issue was due today.

Issue 2: Is a request for informating/pricing on a Premium support contract. This was the intended subject of this thread. This is NOT limited to the above issue as we have an ongoing need to develop pdfs going forward and would like to have official support if we run into problems (in general, again not specific to just the question above.)

I referenced Issue 1 above in this thread only in response to your post in which you listed a series of actions that could be taken with the purpose of simply noted that I had taken them all. Issue 1 again is separate from getting a general support contract quote.

The private message to Thomas was just a shot in the dark as I tried to exericise all of the options available to me. Again it was just mentioned here to convey the steps I'd already taken. I understand these are primarily community support forums and an official response in a free community forum while certainly welcome is not required.

As for the point of this thread, a ongoing support contract quote: I didn't even know Thomas (a forum/support person apparently) had anything to do with that. I sent an email to info2@ not Thomas and I simply expected something like $X per server per year or some such to come from a sales guy. I understand you're in Germany which is I waited until Friday to say something about an email I sent on Wed. I would expect SOMEONE to be monitoring an email address like info2 at least once a day on normal business days Monday - Friday and so would have expected a response in that time (no matter the timezone differentce), even if it were just to say "Our sales manager is out until Monday, he'll be happy to give you a quote then."

Again on that point it's not related to Issue 1. If you had your pricing on the website I wouldn't have even had to send an email at all. I just wanted to know what it would cost to get a general support contract for this library. It's a sales question not a technical one. Are you saying you only do Premium support per incident though?

As for the address my email was sent from that was my personal email address. I'm not able to actually buy software for my company I just wanted to get a price to bring to my supervisor. As such sending an official email would be inappropriate. If you gave me a quote, I would give it to my manager and he'd decide if it's worth getting. If it was then he'd have the people in charge of purchasing/licensing contact you to make the sale, not me. I'm just a developer. I clearly put PDFSharp on the title so it didn't look too much like spam but if you automatically trash everything from Hotmail I'd imagine you're cutting out a lot of smaller independent developers.

I hope this clears up the confusion on the two issues.