PDFsharp & MigraDoc Foundation

PDFsharp - A .NET library for processing PDF & MigraDoc Foundation - Creating documents on the fly
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read this before posting on this forum: Forum Rules

Post subject: Help Availability
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:11 am 

I downloaded the Windows help file and I can open it, but there is no content beyond the table of contents., so I tried the PDFsharp and MigraDoc Documentation install, but I can't find how to access this help.

I saw that someone else asked this question before me, but it was never answered. Can anyone help me to get help? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Help Availability
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:30 am 
PDFsharp Guru

Hi!
dleduc wrote:
I downloaded the Windows help file and I can open it, but there is no content beyond the table of contents [...]
Did you unblock the help files as explained in the Readme file?

dleduc wrote:
[...] so I tried the PDFsharp and MigraDoc Documentation install, but I can't find how to access this help.
Are these the help files for the VS 2008 help viewer? Did you install VS 2008?

dleduc wrote:
I saw that someone else asked this question before me, but it was never answered.
A link would be helpful.

Online help can be found here:
http://www.nudoq.org/#!/Packages/PDFsharp-MigraDoc-GDI

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:56 am 

Thomas,
All good questions and I will attempt to answer them if I can figure out where I saw things since I was floundering around all over the place trying to find my own answers and ended up with very many windows open.

The file PDFsharp-Help-Standalone-1_31.zip has 2 files in it. PDFsharp and MigraDoc Documentation.chm has a table of contents, but no details. The file !ReadMe.txt has all kind of links in it, but I don't see any comments about unblocking it. However, following assorted links did get me to http://www.nudoq.org/#!/Projects/PDFsharp-MigraDoc-GDI which seems to be some basic documentation and I did notice that there was a download link and downloaded it. Unfortunately, the download link does not seem any better than the online version.

The file PDFsharp-Help-VSIPCC-1_31.zip has 3 files, setup.exe, PDFsharp and MigraDoc Documentation.msi, and !ReadMe.txt. I did run setup. The !ReadMe.txt file only has the word TODO in it. However, I do see from the other !ReadMe.txt file for the standalone help that this help is only supposed to work with Visual Studio 2008 or 2005 and I have 2012.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the link to the unanswered question, but I seem to recall that it was not at pdfsharp.net. It might have been at the sourcforge discussion, but I cannot find it now.

So that brings me up to the present. Is the nudoq.org help as good as it gets or is there a better source? Is there something that I can do to the .chm file to make it yield useful information? Thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:12 am 
PDFsharp Guru

The help files and NuDoq just show the comments we added to the source code.

Visual Studio uses those comments for IntelliSense. IMHO IntelliSense is what a programmer needs.

You type "gfx." and IntelliSense shows you the methods of the XGraphics class.
You select "DrawImage" and IntelliSense shows the overloads of that method and the parameters.

Check the samples to get an idea how PDFsharp/MigraDoc work.
You can see commented snippets from the samples here: http://www.pdfsharp.net/
You can download the complete sample solutions from CodePlex or SourceForge.

It was nice to have context-sensitive help pages with VS 2008 - but alas this no longer works.
But IntelliSense works.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:18 am 

Thomas,
Although I'd love to have a book with all objects and their arguments (I'm old school) I can accept that Intellisense does provide the most important help.

However, I may still have a really basic problem. I have never used NuGet before. When I do, I can find PDFSharp and MigraDoc and I click on the install button. I get some messages about it installing. I then went to my project and tried your example of typing gfx. to see if Intellisense would kick in and it didn't. It does for other functions so it is turned on. I then went back to the NuGet package manager and I don't see any installed packages. I tried this a couple of times and it appears that PDFsharp might not be getting installed. I do see it in my references though so I really don't know what is going on. Do you have any idea what I'm doing wrong? Thanks again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:57 am 
PDFsharp Guru

NuGet works for me.
Invoke the NuGet Package Manager for the project, not for the solution.

You still need the using statement in your C# file.
Write "XGraphics gfx;" and Visual Studio or ReSharper should offer you a context menu with an item that adds the using for you.

Or download the sample package. There you just have to restore the NuGet packages and the solution should compile. There you have all the using statements you need.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:20 am 

That thought (importing namespace) had occurred to after I sent my message and went to bed. Today I tested it and it works fine. Now I just need to play with the examples and figure out what objects I need to play with to get things done. Thank you.