PDFsharp & MigraDoc Foundation

PDFsharp - A .NET library for processing PDF & MigraDoc Foundation - Creating documents on the fly
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:11 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read this before posting on this forum: Forum Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:17 pm 

Hello,

I am creating a dynamic PDF using MigraDoc and PDFSharp.

Since i mentioned its a dynamic PDF, the way i created is more complicated since i need to use of lot of styling attributes in the dynamic data. First I prepare data from the JSON inputs and i will it to print into PDF. One piece of code is shown below.

xPosition = 1.2;
MigraDoc.Rendering.DocumentRenderer docRenderer = new DocumentRenderer(doc);
docRenderer.PrepareDocument();
// Render the paragraph.
// Rendering unit is in Centimeters
docRenderer.RenderObject(gfx, XUnit.FromCentimeter(xPosition ), XUnit.FromCentimeter(yPosition), "18.4cm", dataToPrint);

In the above piece of code, the dataToPrint variable is the actual data grabbed from the JSON variable. After printing the above, i need to calculate the YPosition manually to print the next data in the JSON variable.

I calculate yPosition by considering there will be 80 characters in a line but i know that method doesn't work all the time since PDFSharp uses vector graphics and also line length varies by length of individual characters.

In iTextSharp there is a variable called PdfWriter.getVerticalPosition() to get the current yPosition.

Is there any variable in PDFSharp/MigraDoc to get the yPosition after printing in the PDF???

Any help would be much appreciated because i couldn't find a proper solution for a long time. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:56 pm 
PDFsharp Expert

Hi!

You should be able to determine the height of the objects drawn by RenderObject.

If you use MigraDoc as intended, MigraDoc will keep track of the Y position.
Are there reasons why you cannot use the normal MigraDoc mechanism?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:36 pm 

The data is too dynamic also the data in JSON needs to be processed for styling purpose.

For Example, the Json data will be like,

var xViewModel = new List<XViewModel >()
{
new xViewModel {
ContentTitle = "<span><b>Content Title</b></span>",
ContentValue = "<span>The Content Values comes here</span><span><b colorPropSet=''Report_Blue''>Q | Some Question here</b>
<Child JSON comes here>
}
};

The above view model goes like a big loo. It may have a 100 child elements or even more.

The problem is I need to process the styling properties of each "ContentTitle" and "ContentValue" and will assign the properties like color, font, font-size and so on.

Before i inject the values to MigraDoc/PDFSharp, i need to do lots of processing.. I would say i wrote a custom parsing functionality which will suit the need.

The above part restricts me to use the full feature of the MigraDoc/PDFSharp inbuilt Y position.

Is there any other way i can get the Y Position after printing/rendering the content ? ? It would be really helpful...

Please let me know if you need more information.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:03 pm 
PDFsharp Guru

jenurius wrote:
Please let me know if you need more information.
You explain what you are doing.
You do not explain why you do it in a somewhat complicated way (using RenderObject).

You do not explain why you cannot use MigraDoc as intended (create one document, add all the paragraphs you need, and finally let MigraDoc create a document for you). If you do so, you do not have to bother about the Y position and MigraDoc can even break paragraphs across page boundaries.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:32 pm 

My work is to generate a report after a survey is answered.

The reason i do in a complicated way is because of the structure.

Example structure/data to be printed.

Content 1: data={"Some Content to be printed 1"}, Properties:{TextColor:"Red", Font: "SomeFont 1" more properties};
Content 2: data={"Some Content to be printed 2"}, Properties:{TextColor:"Green", Font: "SomeFont 2" more properties};
Content n: data={"Some Content to be printed n"}, Properties:{TextColor:"Black", Font: "SomeFont n" more properties};

In the above scenario, I need to print the content 1 with all the properties and Content 2 with all the properties and so on. So I need to use RenderObject way as i mentioned in the previous comments.

Also there are lots of custom elements like hyperlinks embedded in a rectangle as buttons will be printed too.

That's the reason I got to choose the complicated way.

May be a stupid way but that's what i understood with the available docs.

Really appreciated for replying and will be very helpfull for me if find a solution or a better way of doing this.

Hope the explanation i gave explains my problem/situation.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:52 pm 
PDFsharp Guru

jenurius wrote:
In the above scenario, I need to print the content 1 with all the properties and Content 2 with all the properties and so on. So I need to use RenderObject way as i mentioned in the previous comments.
I would do this the normal way without RenderObject.
With MigraDoc you can mix several fonts and several text colors within a single paragraph. Where's the problem?

jenurius wrote:
Also there are lots of custom elements like hyperlinks embedded in a rectangle as buttons will be printed too.
I most likely would do this the normal way without RenderObject.
If needed I would use RenderPage and add some placeholders to the document that will be drawn with PDFsharp after RenderPage.