PDFsharp & MigraDoc Foundation

PDFsharp - A .NET library for processing PDF & MigraDoc Foundation - Creating documents on the fly
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:29 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read this before posting on this forum: Forum Rules

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:52 am 

Hi,

I am using PdfSharp to create a new Pdf file from another pdf file. I can successfully create the new one. But we have a requirement to add a margin in the newly created pdf file (say 10 pts on all sides). I have tried setting the TrimMargin, but this is pushing the page contents to various corners of the page, instead of scaling. The expected behavior is to scale the page contents according to the margin.

Later, instead of importing, I created the new page using XGraphics.DrawImage from the XForm object of the source pdf file and with a scaled down XRect with margins set. However, some pages gets distorted and it never draws the image inside the rectangle that I specify.

So can someone please suggest the recommended way of scaling the pdf page either by importing or DrawImage function?

Thanks in advance
Sai Theodore

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 7:38 am 
PDFsharp Guru

Hi!

I would use DrawImage. I would scale down the PDF page maintaining the aspect ratio.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:35 am 

Thanks a lot for the quick response.

I am using the exact same method as you have suggested. Though most of the pages comes prefect, for some reason certain pages get distorted and never draws it inside the rectangle that I mention. One thing I noticed is that it happens to pages which are rotated.

Any idea why would this happen?

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:46 am 
PDFsharp Guru

saitheodore wrote:
One thing I noticed is that it happens to pages which are rotated.
If this happens to pages that are rotated by 180° then this fix may help you:
viewtopic.php?p=9868#p9868

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 9:01 am 

Thanks a lot Thomas. Will try this.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:25 pm 

When scaling the image and page down per the suggestion, does it also change the file size of the PDF? Say for example a PDF is sized at 2 MB. If when using PdfSharp, get the page as an image, scale it down to a smaller width and height, will it change the file size as well? Ideally yes, it would, but when researching online it seems using PdfSharp, it will not reduce the file size.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:13 pm 
PDFsharp Expert

jboss26 wrote:
Ideally yes, it would
No, ideally the size will not change.
PDF is a vector format. You draw the page smaller, but the contents that are drawn do not change in any way.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:44 am 

Sorry, I meant ideally in my situation. Essentially, we have a set of network folders where automated PDFs are created from a machine with measurement outputs, and these files tend to range from 1MB to 5MB. That in itself is not a problem, but when it exports one or two files every 1 hour, disk space gets eaten up relatively quickly. I am trying to find a way to program a simple app which will look in a specified directory, and scale the PDFs down, most importantly the file size.

If I understand correctly, PDFSharp does not support vector manipulation to the point of altering the original image's size, therefore reducing the file size when saved? Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 6:42 am 
PDFsharp Expert

jboss26 wrote:
If I understand correctly, PDFSharp does not support vector manipulation to the point of altering the original image's size, therefore reducing the file size when saved?
Vector information is "draw a line here, draw a line there". You do not save anything if you draw the image on a smaller area as all items are still there. It is possible to add a filter that removes "small" insignificant items, but I never heard of such a tool.

There are tools that shrink raster images included in PDF files. PDFsharp does not do this.