PDFsharp & MigraDoc Foundation

PDFsharp - A .NET library for processing PDF & MigraDoc Foundation - Creating documents on the fly
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:45 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read this before posting on this forum: Forum Rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:33 pm 

Hi there.

trying to figure out if I can use PDFSharp or MigraDoc for a project I am working on

Essentially I am in need of creating reports on a database and generating documents that can be viewed on screen, printed and saved as pdf

here are a few specific things I need

1) page breaks.
Need to know positioning so I can create page breaks when needed and possibly have some sort of automated page break when printing large multi line text

2) document viewing
need to be able to view documents preferably before I save them to a file
also do not want to use acrobat as a viewer inside the application. Had too many issues with people not having acrobat installed or an older version installed and having problems

these are the major two items I can think of. Most everything else is just standard stuff such as text and images and I am pretty sure those are covered

I had a look at migradoc and I liked what i saw but it looks like it is not possible to handle page breaks with it as it is not designed differently.

I guess with PDFSharp I can control the page breaks on my own. How easy is it to do previews without the need of acrobat installed and can I create the preview and then also save the document to a PDF without having to rerun the code for the document meaning create the document once and then show it, print it or save it to pdf

thanks for any pointers

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:57 pm 
PDFsharp Expert

Hi!
starzen wrote:
I had a look at migradoc and I liked what i saw but it looks like it is not possible to handle page breaks with it as it is not designed differently.
I don't know what your needs are.
MigraDoc allows you to add explicit page breaks when needed.
There are several ways to control automatic page breaks (KeepTogether, KeepWith, &c.).

starzen wrote:
I guess with PDFSharp I can control the page breaks on my own. How easy is it to do previews without the need of acrobat installed and can I create the preview and then also save the document to a PDF without having to rerun the code for the document meaning create the document once and then show it, print it or save it to pdf
With PDFsharp you even have to handle line breaks yourself. Full control.
With PDFsharp you do not have a "document", you have code that draws pages - PDF pages, printer pages, preview pages.

There is a Preview sample:
http://pdfsharp.net/wiki/Preview-sample.ashx