PDFsharp & MigraDoc Foundation

PDFsharp - A .NET library for processing PDF & MigraDoc Foundation - Creating documents on the fly
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:35 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please read this before posting on this forum: Forum Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:53 pm 

Using Migradoc, I would like to have a paragraph that takes up a minimum amount of vertical space. Maybe a maximum too but that's a separate issue. Ideally I would like to set it up so that it will add whatever padding/margin is necessary to take up that space given the text in the paragraph. Failing that, can I measure the height of the paragraph after setting the text and then add space?

I don't remember if I have the GDI or WPF DLL, and I don't see any version information. Is there a way to find that info?

Last edited by nscherer on Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:27 am 
PDFsharp Expert

Hi!

Welcome to the forum.

Please read this post:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=832

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:01 am 
PDFsharp Guru

nscherer wrote:
I don't remember if I have the GDI or WPF DLL, and I don't see any version information. Is there a way to find that info?
Tell us the name of the DLL. Look at its properties (right click in Explorer).

One possible solution: use tables. One row, one column, no visible borders. You can set the height of the row. For debugging you can show the borders.

Later on you can use PDFsharp functions to detect how much space the text will need and truncate the text as needed.

Or don't set the height of the row, instead add a second column with an empty paragraph - using the ParagraphFormat.LineSpacingRule and ParagraphFormat.LineSpacing you can set a minimum height. The row will grow if your text is too long.

Or use TextFrames at absolute positions.

Maybe there are other solutions if you tell us more about what you want to achieve.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:50 pm 

Thomas Hoevel wrote:
Tell us the name of the DLL. Look at its properties (right click in Explorer).

MigraDoc.DocumentObjectModel.dll

File version 1.32.3885.0

Thomas Hoevel wrote:
Later on you can use PDFsharp functions to detect how much space the text will need and truncate the text as needed.

Yeah, I will need to cross that bridge at some point too. I did see some answers about truncating text that's too long so I may be able to figure that one out.

Thomas Hoevel wrote:
Or don't set the height of the row, instead add a second column with an empty paragraph - using the ParagraphFormat.LineSpacingRule and ParagraphFormat.LineSpacing you can set a minimum height. The row will grow if your text is too long.

That sounds interesting, but I'm not quite following how that would work. LineSpacing controls how much space is between paragraphs, right? I'm looking for a minimum height of the paragraph, including its content. Could this technique achieve that?

Thomas Hoevel wrote:
Or use TextFrames at absolute positions.

Can a TextFrame have an absolute height but a relative position? I only ask because I've found absolute positioning to be a pain (not in Migradoc specifically just in general). I think I could make that work though.

Thomas Hoevel wrote:
Maybe there are other solutions if you tell us more about what you want to achieve.

I've attached a screen shot of what this part of the document is supposed to look like. The "notes" part should be a minimum height so there is room to write on it, with the status below, and a box around both. Right now I have them in the same paragraph with a border on the paragraph.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments:
File comment: Screen shot of the relevant part of the document
wf_pdf_notes.png
wf_pdf_notes.png [ 4.99 KiB | Viewed 7215 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:03 pm 

I made it work with a TextFrame, though I moved the "status" field above the frame and used the frame for just the notes.